03 January 2010

Being that girl


I did it. I finally finished a book that was not about vaccinations or developmental milestones or a sneaky gorilla.

Like meditation and reading and relaxation and simply doing nothing, I let these things fall to the bottom of my "to-do" list when there are dishes in the sink, laundry to fold, bills to pay, a husband to spend time with and a baby to nurture. So, that is why it took me forever to read this book. And I only finished it because I mindfully and consciously made the decision to sit in the comfy chair and read.

And really, the end was the best part. It was the best part because it was hopeful and real and honest. And it ended in the South. And it ended with a happy girl in a truck - a girl who for most of the book was floating and detached and sad and directionless and ungrounded.

I finished it and let my feelings of accomplishment marinate for a few hours. And thought about this girl who found purpose when she became a mother, a girl who grew up when she went back home. A girl, in the South, in a truck.

Tonight, I told my husband I want to be a girl in a truck.

He kind of paused, looked at me, and said "You are a girl in a truck - It's just that its a hybrid SUV."

I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment