12 October 2009

A little living large

We live fairly small - a one bedroom apartment, one car, not too much stuff. And mostly, it makes me happy.

I say mostly because part of living small is enjoying what you have and making use of things that may be older but still functioning. And so, when we found out I was pregnant we knew the Saab 2-door Convertible would have to go at some point but there was no rush. We love that car - even in chilly San Francisco we love to ride with the top down. We figured we'd outgrow the car before we outgrew the apartment, but that still meant we had time. Somehow we managed to squeeze the infant car seat in and out of the passenger side door and then when he got too big and heavy (which was way sooner than I expected), I squeezed my way behind the driver's seat, baby held tightly in my arms. That that wouldn't work forever became painfully real in the last month.

You see, getting an 18lb baby into a rear facing car seat in a two door car requires the most ungraceful and now painful body contortions you can imagine. I commend those of you with 2 door cars - I don't know how you do it. I lasted exactly 6 months and 3.5 weeks.

So today, we went from small to large. Tonight, parked in our small space in the communal garage is a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. Yes, an SUV. And I love it.

I am not a car person but today I felt a giddiness that does not bubble to the surface very often. In fact, I still have a smile on my face when I think about it. It is new and clean and big and under warranty and big - oh did I mention that already. I guess when it comes down to it, it has just a bit of breathing room and that is exactly what this new mama needed a little of.

No comments:

Post a Comment