10 August 2008

{the ritual of public baths}

From Japan to Turkey to Finland to Russia, the idea of communal bathing is certainly not a new concept. However, it is not part of our American culture and it is a shame. Our closeted and fearful relationship with sexuality and sensuality and nudity makes communal bathing still a fringe experience.

Luckily I live in San Francisco, which means I have a few more options when it comes time for this lovely and relaxing ritual. However Osento, the women's bath in the Mission is now closed and the popularity of the public baths at Kabuki now means that I might have to wait for 2 hours to get in, so I am in desperate need of a new place to soak and get warm.

So for now, I will have to share with you about a spot in Seattle, that is certainly worth a visit.

Banya 5 : Seattle Urban Spa

I have only been there once but I will be certain to visit again when I visit the Pacific Northwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment